top of page







(Courtesy of the Local Studies Collection, Northallerton Library)


"AYSGARTH is a parish, township, village and the head of a union, pleasantly situated on the south of the river Ure, or Yore, in Wensleydale, with a station 1 mile north-east on the Northallerton and Hawes Branch of the North Eastern railway, 8¼ miles west-south-west from Leyburn, 9 east from Hawes and 4 south-east from Askrigg; it is in the Richmond division of the Riding, wapentake and petty sessional division of Hang West, county court district of Leyburn, rural deanery of West Catterick, archdeaconry of Richmond and diocese of Ripon. Electric lighting is supplied by a private company, from power derived from the old water mill. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, and later styles, consisting of chancel with aisles, nave, aisles, south porch, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing a clock, presented by J.C. Winn esq. in 1904. and 6 bells, cast in 1829: the upper stage and pinnacles were added to the tower at the restoration of the church: the elaborately carved and decorated rood screen, now affixed to the south wall of the chancel, was brought from Jervaulx Abbey, and the finely carved ends of the reading desk are also the work of the monks of that house: the reredos of Caen stone, which adorned with a representation of "The last Supper," after Leonardo da Vinci, was given in the year 1887 by the daughters of  the late H.T. Robinson, of Edgley and the Cliff, Leyburn: there is a brass eagle lectern and elegant brass coronæ, and several of the windows are stained, including one to the Rev. Fenwick William Stow, M.A. , vicar 1873-1905: there is also a tablet to the Rev. Clement Hales M.A. founder in 1877 of the Aysgarth Preparatory School, near Jervaulx (d.1900); a carved Austrian pulpit in memory of Mrs. F.S. Graham was erected in 1915: the church was restored, and to a considerable extent rebuilt in 1866 a cost of about £6,000, and affords 620 sittings. The registers date from the year 1710. The living is a discharged vicarage, net yearly value £370, including 38 acres of glebe ad residence, in the gift of Trinity College Cambridge, and held since 1933 by the Rev. John Harold McCuhbin M.A. of that College. The monks of Jervaulx Abbey became impropriators of the tithes of Aysgarth in 1423; they were never restored to the parish, but in Queen Mary's reign were made over to Trinity College, Cambridge, which thus became patron of the benefice. The Wesleyan Methodist chapel here was erected in 1901. A fair for sheep and cattle is held here on October 30th. ...  A new foot bridge was erected in 1906 at Harper-Wath by the Rural District Council, in place of the old stepping stones. In the same year a water supply was provided at a cost of £600, the spring being presented by Mr. John Chapman, of Thornton Rust. The Literary Institute , containing reading and billiards rooms, with a large room above for public meetings, was opened in (p.31) September, 1907; it was erected on the site of the old reading room at a cost of £600. ...William Robinson Burrill-Robinson esq. J.P. who is lord of the manor, ... The soil is very good; subsoil, limestone. The land is chiefly in pasture. The parish of Aysgarth is very extensive, containing the twelve townships of Aysgarth, High and Low Abbotside, Askrigg, Bainbridge, Bishopdale, Burton-cum-Walden, Carperby-cum-Thoresby, Newbiggin, Thoralby, Thornton Rust and Hawes; it covers an area of 79,561 acres, a great part of which consists of high moorland. ... ecclesiastical parish in 1931, 1,333.


A regular service of omnibus passes through the village daily to Hawes, Leyburn, Bedale & Northallerton. ... (p.29)



The parishes in the District are , Abbotside - High, Abbotside - Low, Askrigg, Aysgarth, Bainbridge, Bishopdale, Burton-cum-Walden, Carperby-cum-Thoresby, Hawes, Newbiggin, Thoralby & Thornton Rust.


Council meets at the Board room, Bainbridge, monthly on monday.


Chairman, J.T. Leyland, Bainbridge. 




Clerk & Rating & Valuation Officer, John Johnson Willan, Askrigg.


Treasurer, A.B. Harland, Hawes.


Medical Officer of Health, William N. Pickles M.D/, B.S. Lond. Aysgarth.


Sanitary Inspector & Surveyor, T.F. Johnson, Worton.


Registrars of Births & Deaths, Aysgarth sub-district, & registrar of marriages, Wensleydale Registration district, John Close Thwaite, Cowlingholme, Askrigg & Market place, Hawes.


Police Station.


Railway Station, (L. & N.E.). 


THORALBY is pleasantly situated in Bishopdale, 2 miles south from Aysgarth station and 10 miles south-east-by-east from Hawes. There are Methodist chapels and a reading-room and library, erected in 1887. At Littleburn there is an interesting bridge given by the then Lord Rokeby in 1814, with a Latin inscription in honour of the Duke of Wellington. Here also is a fine waterfall, called the "Silver Chain Force". William Robinson Burrill-Robinson esq. J.P. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are W.R. Burrill-Robinson esq. J.P. and several farmers. The acreage is 2,857 acres of land and 6 of water; the population in 1931 was 160.


Post & Tel. Call Office.


Letters through Leyburn.


Aysgarth nearest M. O. T. office. (p.30)


Marked thus° farm 150 acres or over.

Bell Jn. Street Head P.H.

Cockerill Hy. farmer, East Lane frm

°Dinsdale Jas. farmer East end

Dinsdale Thomas, farmer

Fawcett Robert, farmer

Hammond Thos. farmer, West Lane ho.



Heseltine Jn. stonemason

Heseltine Rt. farmer

Heseltine Thos. farmer

°Musgrave Rt. farmer, Town head

Sayer Jn. farmer

Seed Benj. farmer



Gawland F. Stockton, Heaning hall



Marked thus° farm 150 acres or over.

Alderson Wm. blacksmith

Atkinson Geo. farmer, Swinecote

Atkinson Jn. farmer, High Green

Close Victor, farmer

Cottringham Thos. farmer

°Dinsdale Stephen, Jn. & Frank frmrs

Fawcett Rowland, farmer

Furnish Fras. farmer

°Hemsley Ralph, farmer

°Heseltine Jeffrey & Jsph. farmers Cote  bottom

°Heseltine Christopher, farmer

°Huck Jas. farmer Gale Ing



Humble Jn. George inn

°Lambert John, farmer

Metcalfe Geo. farmer

Metcalfe William, farmer

Reading Room (M.W. Heseltine, sec, &  treas)

Rowntree Alfd. & Sons Ltd. cheese mfrs

Sayer Jn. R. flour dlr

Snaith Frank, farmer, Holmeside fm

 [my Grandfather] 

Spensley Rt. Guy, farmer, How Syke

Warnford Guest House (Miss K. H.Smith,  proprietress)

Webster Michl. shopkpr. & post office.  Aysgarth 5

Willis Wm. & Sons, joiners

Wilson Carrie (Mrs.) boarding ho"


bottom of page