Victorian County History of the County of York North Riding,
Victorian County History of York North Riding, 1914
(courtesy of the Dales Countryside Museum, Hawes)
The following is a transcription from the above Book:
Transcribed from the Victoria County History of the County of North Riding (1914) Ed. William Page.
p203 The village of Thoralby stands in the lower part of the valley. There has been a water-mill here since 1298, when there was a capital messuage in Thoralby. On the high land west of the valley is Thoralby Common, probably that moorland mentioned in Domesday Book; on it are disused lead-mines and quarries. Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels have been built in the village.
p209 In THORALBY (Turoldesbi, xi cent; Thoraldeby, xiii cent.) Bernulf retained under Count Alan in 1086 the 'manor' and 6 carucates which he had held before the Conquest. Thoralby was subsequently acquired by the lords of Middleham (q.v.). At the death of Ralph son of Ranulph this manor was assigned to his widow Anastasia in dower. His daughter Joan, wife of Robert de Tateshall, inherited it, and Robert was tenant in 1286-7. He died in possession in 1298. Joan held the manor in 1301-2, and died in 1310. As her grandson Robert had died without issue it reverted to her sister Mary Nevill, who had inherited Middleham (q.v.). Thoralby now followed the descent of Middleham (q.v.), with which it was sold to the City of London by Charles I. The lordship of Middleham was sold in parcels by commissioners chiefly between 1654 and 1663. The purchaser of Thoralby was possibly a member of the family of Norton. In 1734 the manor was in the possession of Benjamin Purchas. William Purchas held it in 1829, and he or a son of the same name was in possession in 1857. Before 1772, however, the manor had been acquired by Henry Thomas Robinson. Mr. William Robinson Burrill-Robinson is now lord of the manor. Robert Tateshall claimed free warren in Thoralby in or about 1280; a confirmatory grant of this privilege was obtained in 1332.
p213 The 'great chapel of Thoralby,' in which Mary Nevill founded a chantry in 1316, was possibly a domestic chapel. It was dedicated to All Hallows, and was still in use in 1536. It is not afterwards mentioned.