Littleburn Bridge - Inscription, 1961
[This section is under construction].
"Dedicated to Wellington, Dalesman, 1961 Vol. 23 p.433
(courtesy of the Dales Countryside Museum, Hawes)
The following is a transcription from the above Magazine:
"Dedicated to Wellington
Littleburn House, about half a mile west of Thoralby in Bishopdale, now a farm house, was 150 years ago a mansion, occupied and maybe owned by Matthew, the fourth Lord Rokeby. On the bridge which is near the mansion is a Latin inscription from the pen of the peer.
The bridge is dated 1814 and seems to be a 19th century war memorial.
Unfortunately the stone is deteriorating.
The translation is:
IN GOD THE ONLY SECURITY"