POST OFFIC

KEELLY'S  DIRECTORY,

OF THE

NORTH AND EAST RIDINGS

OF

 YORKSHIRE,

1879

EDITED BY E.R. Kelly

(Courtesy of the Local Studies Collection, Northallerton Library)

AYSGARTH is a parish, township and village, and polling place for the North Riding, pleasantly situated on the south side of the river Ure, or Yore, in Wensleydale, 8¼ miles west-south from Leyburn, 9 east from Hawes, and 4 south-east from Askrigg. It is in the wapentake of Hang West, Aysgarth union, county court district of Leyburn, rural deanery of Catterick, Richmond archdeaconry, Ripon dioceses, York province. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient stone building, in the Perpendicular and Gothic styles, having a square embattled tower containing 6 bells: the interior consist of naïve, aisles, and chancel: in this church is an elaborately carved roof-loft brought from Jervaulx Abbey: the whole church has recently been well restored, at a cost of about £6,000. The register dates from about the year 1700. The living is a discharged vicarage yearly value £137, in the gift of Trinity College, Cambridge, and held by the Rev. John Winn, M.A., of St. John’s College, Cambridge. There is a National school, which was built by subscription. The Wesleyan Methodists and Society of Friends have places of worship here. Aysgarth poor law union comprises the following twelve townships, viz.: - Askrigg, Aysgarth, Bainbridge, Bishopdale, Burton-cum-Walden, Carperby-cum-Thoresby, High Abbotside, Low Abbotside, Newbiggin, Thoralby and Thornton Rust; and the Askrigg highway district comprises the same twelve townships. A fair for sheep and cattle is held here on October 30th. Knit hosiery is made here.  ... Henry Thomas Robinson, esq. who is (P.96) lord of the manor, ... The soil is very good; subsoil, limestone. The chief crops are grass. The parish of Aysgarth is very extensive, containing the twelve townships of AYSGARTH, HIGH and LOW ABBOTSIDE, ASKRIGG, BAINBRIDGE, BISHOPDALE, BURTON-cum-WALDEN, CARPERBY-cum-THORESBY, NEWBIGGIN, THORALBY, THORNTON RUST, and HAWES: it covers an area of 81,012 acres, a great part of which is high moorland. The population of the whole parish in 1871 was 5,472. ... the area 1,174 acres; rateable value, £1,583.  … STATION, POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE. ... Railway station, William Bell, station master.

 

AYSGARTH UNION.

Aysgarth poor law union comprises the following twelve townships. vi. : Askrigg, Aysgarth, Bainbridge, Bishopdale, Burton-cum-Walden, Carperby-cum-Thoresby, Hawes, High Abbotside, Low Abbotside, Newbiggin, Thoralby,  and Thornton Rust; and the Askrigg highway district comprises the same twelve townships.

 

Board day, monday, fortnightly.

 

Clerk, W.E.M. Winn

Assistant Overseer, G. Bell

Collector, Relieving Officer & Vaccinations Officer, E. Chapman

Medical Officer, Hawes district, Chas. H. Richardson, A. Baker, for Aysgarth

Superintendent Registrar, George Winn

Registers of Marriages, Hawes sub-district, W. Shaw; for Askrigg, E. Chapman

Register of Births & Deaths, Hawes, W. Shaw; Askrigg, E. Chapman

Workhouse, George Whitton, master; A. Baker, surgeon; Mrs. Elizabeth Whitton. matron.

 

RURAL SANITARY AUTHORITY.

Clerk, W.E.M. Winn

Medical Officer, A. Baker

Inspector of Nuisances, E. Chapman

 

 

Bishopdale extends in southerly direction from 3 to 6 miles from Aysgarth; it consists of a few scattered farmhouses, and is situated in the dale of its name. Lead is found in small quantities in this township. Henry Thomas Robinson, esq., is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Robert Lodge, esq. William Purchas, esq. and the representatives of the late Rev. John Metcalfe. The soil is rich loam; subsoil, limestone and gravel; the chief crops, grass. The population in 1871 was 80, and the area is 4,805 acres; rateable value, £2382. (p.97)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Newbiggin is situated in Bishopdale, 2 miles south from Aysgarth station and 10 miles south-east from Hawes. Thomas H. Robinson, esq. is lord of the manor. Here is a small school, partly free, founded in 1748. The principal landowners are John Chapman, esq. Robert Lodge. esq. Mr J. Fryer. The acreage is 2,000; rateable value, £1,603; the population in 1871 was 113.

 

School, David Bond, master. (p.97)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

o

 

 

 

 

 

Thoralby is pleasantly situated in Bishopdale, 1 mile south from Aysgarth station and 10 south-east-by-east from Hawes. The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. Lead is obtained in small quantities. There is a fine waterfall, called the Silver Chain Force. H.T. Robinson, esq. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are William Purchas, esq. the representatives of the late John Sadler, esq. and H.T. Robinson, esq. The acreage is 2,840; rateable value, £2,453; the population in 1871 was 285.

 

POST OFFICE. – Thomas Nicholson, postmaster. Letters arrive from Bedale, viâ West Witton, at 11 a.m.; Sunday 11 a.m.; dispatched at 4 p.m.; Sunday 3 p.m. The nearest money order offices are at Askrigg & West Burton. (p.97)

 

 

Broderick Thomas, farmer

Bushby William, farmer

Dent William, farmer

Dixon Matthias, farmer

Fawcett Cowley, farmer

Hammil John, farmer

Heseltine Rachel (Miss), farmer

Johnson John, farmer

Lodge Robert, farmer

 

Metcalfe James, farmer

Metcalfe John, farmer

Metcalfe Robert, farmer

Mudd James, farmer

Routh Richard, farmer

Scott Thomas, farmer

Tennant William, farmer

Thwiate John, farmer

 (p.98)

 

Dixon Mrs.

Fryer Thomas

Fryer William

Pickard Mrs.

 

COMMERCIAL.

Dent George, farmer & auctioneer

Dinsdale John, farmer

Dinsdale John, joiner & farmer

Duckett John, farmer

 

 

 

Fryer Thomas, farmer

Fryer William, farmer

Heseltine Geo. Heifer inn, & farmer

Heseltine John & Matthew, farmers

Lambert Matthew, tailor

Mortimor Dan, farmer

Sayer Felix, farmer

Thwaite Simon, Street Head, & farmer

Yeoman Christopher, farmer

 (p.98)

Calvert Miss

Jaques Leonard, Warmforth cottage [Warnford cottage]

Nicholson Miss

Sadler Mrs

Sadler Mrs

Wray George Octavius

 

COMMERCIAL.

Coates Thomas, farmer

Dinsdale Thomas, tailor & draper

Fawcett Thomas & Robert, farmers

Fawcett James, Volunteer inn, & joiner

Fawcett Jane (Mrs.), farmer

Fawcett John, farmer

Fawcett Rowland, farmer

Furnish Francis, farmer

Hammell John, farmer

Hammond Christopher, farmer

Haw Thomas, shoe maker

Heseltine Alice (Mrs.), farmer

Heseltine Jeffrey, farmer

Heseltine Richd. George inn, & blcksmth

 

 

Heseltine Thomas, farmer

Heseltine William, farmer

Lambert Thomas, farmer

Mattison Margaret (Mrs.), farmer

Milner James, stone mason

Nicholson Thomas, farmer

Sadler Thomas, farmer

Sarginson John, farmer

Sayer Arthur, farmer

Sayer John, corn miller

Scott John, farmer

Scott Joseph, farmer

Scott Thomas, farmer

Tate James, farmer

Tennant Bernard, farmer

Thompson William, farmer

Thwaite James, farmer

Thwaite John, farmer

Thwaite Matthew, farmer

Webster Robert, shopkeeper

Willis Matthew, blacksmith

Wray George Octavius, barrister

 (p.98)

FOLLOW ME

  • Facebook Classic

© 2015-2019 by Penny Ellis