NORTH AND EAST RIDINGS
EDITED BY E.R. Kelly
(Courtesy of the Local Studies Collection, Northallerton Library)
"AYSGARTH is a parish, township, village and the head of a union, pleasantly situated on the south of the river Ure, or Yore, in Wensleydale, with a station 1 mile north-east on the Northallerton and Hawes Branch of the North Eastern railway, 8¼ miles west-south-west from Leyburn, 9 east from Hawes and 4 south-east from Askrigg; it is in the Richmond division of the Riding, wapentake and petty sessional division of Hang West, county court district of Leyburn, rural deanery of West Catterick, archdeaconry of Richmond and diocese of Ripon. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing a clock, presented by J.C. Winn esq. in 1904. and 6 bells: the pinnacles were added to the tower at the restoration of the church: the elaborately carved and decorated rood loft, was brought from Jervaulx Abbey, and the ends of the reading desk are also the work of the monks of that house: the reredos of Caen stone, which adorned with a representation of "The last Supper," after Leonardo da Vinci, was given in the year 1887 by the daughters of the late H.T. Robinson, of Edgley and the Cliff, Leyburn: there is a brass eagle lectern and elegant brass coronæ, and several of the windows are stained, the church was restored, and to a considerable extent rebuilt in 1866 a cost of about £6,000, and affords 620 sittings. The registers date from about 1700. The living is a discharged vicarage, net yearly value£175, including 38 acres of glebe ad residence, in the gift of Trinity College Cambridge, and held since 1873 by the Rev. Fenwick William Stow M.A. of that college, and rural dean of West Catterick, and surrogate. The monks of Jervaulx Abbey became impropriators of the tithes of Aysgarth in 1423; they were never restored to the parish, but in Queen Mary's reign were made over to Trinity College, Cambridge, which thus became patron of the benefice. The Wesleyan Methodist chapel here was erected in 1901. A fair for sheep and cattle is held here on October 30th. ... The trustees of the late Henry Thomas Robinson esq. who is lord of the manor, ... The soil is very good; subsoil, limestone. The land is chiefly in pasture. The parish of Aysgarth is very extensive, containing the twelve townships of Aysgarth, High and Low Abbotside, Askrigg, Bainbridge, Bishopdale, Burton-cum-Walden, Carperby-cum-Thoresby, Newbiggin, Thoralby, Thornton Rust and Hawes; it covers an area of 79,561 acres, a great part of which consists of high moorland. ... ecclesiastical parish in 1901, 1,369. ...
AYSGARTH RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL.
Meets at the Board Room, Bainbridge, fortnightly on monday.
Chairman, Thomas Stuart, Hawes
Clerk, W.E.M. Winn, Askrigg
Treasurer, Edward Paul Gibson, Hawes
Medical Officer of Health, Edward M. Hime M.B., Ch. B. Aysgarth
Sanitary Inspector , Ralph Blades, Aysgarth
Surveyor, James Whaley, Askrigg S.O.
Aysgarth poor law union comprises the following twelve townships, viz: - High Abbotside, Low Abbotside, Askrigg, Aysgarth, Bainbridge, Bishopdale, Burton-cum-Walden, Carperby-cum-Thoresby, Hawes, Newbiggin, Thoralby and Thornton Rust. The area of the union is 81,033 acres, rateable value, in 1904, £50,331; the population in 1904 was 4,506.
Board day monday, fortnightly, at the Board room, Bainbridge, at 1.45 p.m.
Chairman of the Board of Guardians, Thos. Stuart, Hawes
Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee, W.E.M. Winn, Askrigg.
Treasurer, Edward Paul Gibson, Hawes
Collector to the Guardians, Relieving & Vaccination Officer for the Union, Alexander T. Storey, Askrigg (p.27)
Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators, Askrigg district, Edward M. Hime M.B., Ch. B. Aysgarth; Hawes district, Thomas Jackson Grime M.D. Hawes
Superintendent Registrar, W.E.M. Winn. Askrigg
Registrars of Births & Deaths, Askrigg sub-district, Alex Thawites Storey, Askrigg; deputy, James Whaley. Askrigg ; Hawes sub-district, Francis P. Bowe, Hawes
The Workhouse, at Bainbridge, is a building of stone, erected in 1810, & will hold 60 inmates; Rev. Christopher Whaley M.A. vicar of Askrigg, hon. chaplain; Frank Hiscock, master; Edward M. Hime M.B., Ch. B. medical officer;
Mrs Elizabeth Hiscock matron.
Public Elementary School, erected for 127 children; average attendance, 32, Mrs Hill, mistress.
Railway Station, Frederick Kitching, station master.
Bishopdale extends in a southerly direction from 3 to 6 miles from Aysgarth, and consists only of a few scattered farm-houses. Lead is found in small quantities in this township. The trustees of the late Henry Thomas Robinson esq. are lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Lieut. Col. John William Lodge J.P. William Purchas esq. of West Burton, and the representatives of the late Rev. John Metcalfe. The soil is rich loam; subsoil, limestone and gravel; the chief crop is hay. The population in 1901 was 80, and the area is 4,728 acres of land and 5 of water; rateable value, £1,780.
Letters from Aysgarth R.O. arrive at 8.30 a.m.
Wall Letter Box cleared at 4 p.m. week days only
Public Elementary School (mixed & infants), built in 1880, for 50 children; average attendance, 15;
Miss Barnes, mistress. (p.28)
BURTON-cum-WALDEN consists of the pleasant and well built village of West Burton and the straggling hamlet of Walden, and is 1½ miles south from Aysgarth station. There are Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist chapels. Stone is obtained here. Fairs are held for cattle &c. on the 10th of March and 6th of May. Here is a very pretty waterfall. The trustees of the late Henry Thomas Robinson esq. are lords of the manor; the trustees of the late James Moody esq. William Purchas esq. William Robinson King esq. and James Clarkson Winn esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is loam; sub-soil, limestone and gravel; the land is mostly pasture. The population of the township in 1901 was 367; the area is 7,622 acres of land and 30 of water; rateable value, £4,3337.
Walden which consists of a few scattered farm-house, extends in a southerly direction from West Burton about 2 to 6 miles.
Robinson Memorial Endowed School, erected in 1869, at the sole cost of the late H.T. Robinson esq. for 90 children, average attendance, 59; it was endowed by the late Mrs. Hudson, and is managed by a body of trustees, acting under the direction of the Educational Committee of the County Council; Fred Ramsden, master.
Post and M.O.O.S.B. & A. & I. Office, West Burton. - William Lawson, sub-postmaster. Letters through Aysgarth Station R.S.O. at 6.35 a.m. & are dispatched at 5.25 p..m.; no delivery or dispatch on sundays. The nearest telegraph office is at Aysgarth station, 2 miles distant. (p.28)
Newbiggin is situated in Bishopdale, 2 miles south from Aysgarth station and 10 south-east from Hawes. The trustees of the late Thomas H. Robinson esq. are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are Robt. Chapman esq. Lieut. Col John William Lodge of Bishopdale, William Purchas esq. and William Robinson King esq. of West Burton and James Whaley Fryer esq. of Rookhurst, Hawes. The area is 1,696 acres of land 5 of water; rateable value, £1,360; the population in 1901 was 95.
Letters through Aysgarth Station R.S.O. arrive at 8 a.m.
Wall Letter Box cleared at 4.50 p.m. week days only.
Council-Non Provided School, for children; average attendance, 70; James Hill, master. (p.28)
THORALBY is pleasantly situated in Bishopdale, 2 miles south from Aysgarth station and 10 south-east-by-east from Hawes. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists chapels and a reading-room and library, erected in 1887. Here also is a fine waterfall, called the "Silver Chain Force". The trustees of the late H.T. Robinson, esq., are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are William Purchas, esq. of West Burton, Lieut-Col. John William Lodge, of Bishopdale, Arthur L. Sadler, Robert Sadler esqrs. the trustees of the late H.T. Robinson, esq. and Mrs. Birch. The acreage is 2,857 acres of land and 6 of water; rateable value, £2,199; the population in 1901was 212.
POST OFFICE. - Mrs. Ann. Jane Webster, postmistress.
Letters arrive from Aysgarth station R.S.O. at 7.10 a.m; dispatched at 5.5 p.m. Postal Orders are issued & paid here. The nearest money order offices are at West Burton; the nearest telegraph office at Aysgarth station, 2 miles distant (p.28).
Lodge Lieut. Col. John William J.P. The Rookery
Close John, farmer, Ribba hall
Fawcett Rowland & Sons, farmer, Long ridge & lane house
Fryer George, farmer, Dale head
Heseltine Jeffrey, Dale foot
Heseltine John, frmr, New House gill
Heseltine William, farmer, Dale head
Lambert John, farmer, West New ho.
Metcalfe William, gamekeeper to John William Lodge esq.
Middleton Michael, farmer, Scarr top
Sayer Francis, farmer, Myers garth
Waddle Matthew, farmer, Kidstones
Brown James, tailor
Dent Richard Lord, farmer & assist overseer
Dinsdale John, farmer
Dinsdale Mary (Mrs.) & Sons, farmer
Dinsdale William, frmr. & shoe maker
Fawcett Ann (Mrs.) & Son, farmers
Hemsley James, farmer
Heseltine John, jun. farmer & stone mason
Heseltine John, jun. farmer & stone mason
Heseltine Thos. farmer & stone mason
Metcalfe Jeremiah, farmer
Sayer John, farmer
Thwaite Felix, farmer, West Lane ho.
Thwaite Richard, Street Head P.H. & farmer
Webster Michael, Heifer inn & farmer
(Marked thus * should be addressed Leyburn R.S.O.)
Bain George Washington
Hammond John, West Burton house
Johnson Edward Banks
Johnson Thos. Christr. M.B. C.M.
King William Robinson
Peacock William H.
*Pearson Sidney, Sorrel Sykes park
Purchas Misses, Flanders hall
Purchas William, Flanders hall
*Randell William, Hest holme
Winn Jas. Clarkson J.P., The Grange & Constitutional club, Northumberland avenue, London
Abbott Jane (Mrs.), Black Bull P.H.
*Alderson Geo. farmr. Sorrel Sykes fm
Brown Edward, butcher & farmer
Bushby John, saddler
Bushbby William, gardener to J.C. Winn esq
Capstick Robert Dinsdale, farmer
Clark Elijah, brewers' traveller
Coates John, joiner
Fawcett John, farmer
Graham Edward, farmer
Hall Thomas, farmer
Hall William, farmer
Hammell Robert, Fox & Hounds P.H.
Hammond Tunstall, stone mason
Hammond Walter, stone mason & assistant overseer
Hemsley Wm. joiner & shopkeeper
Heseltine Francis, farmer
Irving Margaret (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Johnson Edward Banks, solicitor & commissioner for oaths
Johnson Thomas Christopher M.B., C.M.Edin. surgeon
Lambert Thomas, farmer
Lancaster Christina (Mrs.), aparts
Lancaster Charles, blacksmith
Lawson Wm. & Son, grocers & post off
*Mason Leonard, farmer Hestholme
Mawer Thomas, householder
Metcalfe William, farmer & game- keeper to Capt. Harrison
Mudd Mary (Mrs.), dress maker
Pearson Shadrack, gardener to Wm. R. King esq
Pratt Wm. & Son, druggists & grocrs
*Raw William, farmer, Edgley
Reading Room (Lewis Heseltine sec)
Rider Francis Henry, farmer
Sayer James, farmer
Simons Hy. acting sergeant of police
Smithson George, farmer, Howrane
Spence John, farmer
Thistlethwaite John , shoe maker,
*Thompson Wm, frmr. Adam bottoms
Thwaite Thomas, farmer
Wardman James, tailor & shopkeeper
Watson Christopher & Wm. farmers
Bagley William, farmer
Dinsdale, William, farmer & gamekeeper to J.C. Winn esq.
Dinsdale Wm. farmer, Cowstone gill
Furnish John, farmer
Guy Henry, farmer
Mallaby William, farmer
Metcalfe Richard, farmer
Routh Thomas, farmer
Simpson Watson, farmer
Simpson Margaret (Mrs.), farmer
Spence Bernard, farmer
Spence Robert, farmer
Thompson Robert, farmer
Thwaite Richard, farmer
Turnbull, George, farmer
Webster Robert, farmer
Sadler Misses, High Green house
Sadler Septimus, Town head
Beckwith Matthew, George inn
Coates James, farmer
Coates William, farmer
Dent Leonard, farmer, Gale Ing
Dinsdale John, farmer
Dinsdale Thomas, tailor & farmer
Fawcett Elizabeth & Jane (Misses), farmers & apartments Littleburn
Fawcett John B., farmer, Barker farm
Furnish Anne (Mrs.), farmer
Furnish Francis, farmer
Gould George, farmer & apartments, Warnford cottage
Haw James Lamb, boot & shoe maker& insurance agent
Hemsley John, farmer
Hemsley Ralph, farmer
Heseltine Matthew, farmer, Swine cote
Heseltine Matthew, farmer
Heseltine Robert, farmer
Lambert Francis, farmer
Lambert William, farmer Blind Syke
Metcalfe Thomas, frmr. Cote Bottom
Reading Room (Michael Webster, sec)
Routh Richard, farmer
Sayer Thomas, corn miller (water)
Thwaite John, farmer
Thwaite Richard, farmer, How Syke
Webster Anne Jane (Mrs), shopkeeper, Post office
Willis Matthew (Mrs.) & Sons, registered shoeing smiths
Willis William & James, joiners
Willis Jane (Mrs), shopkeeper
Willis Jane (Mrs.), aparts. Stanley ho. "