NORTH AND EAST RIDINGS
(WITH THE CITIES OF YORK AND HULL)
WITH COLORED MAPS OF THE TWO RIDINGS
AND PLANS OF THE CITIES
EDITED BY E.R. Kelly
(Courtesy of the Local Studies Collection, Northallerton Library)
"AYSGARTH is a parish, township, village and the head of a union, pleasantly situated on the south of the river Ure, or Yore, in Wensleydale, with a station 1 mile north-east on the Northallerton and Hawes Branch of the North Eastern railway, 8¼ miles west-south-west from Leyburn, 9 east from Hawes and 4 south-east from Askrigg; it is in the Richmond division of the Riding, wapentake and petty sessional division of Hang West, county court district of Leyburn, rural deanery of West Catterick, archdeaconry of Richmond and diocese of Ripon. Electric lighting is supplied by a private company, from power derived from the old water mill. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, and later styles, consisting of chancel with aisles, nave, aisles, south porch, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing a clock, presented by J.C. Winn esq. in 1904. and 6 bells cast in 1829: the upper stage and pinnacles were added to the tower at the restoration of the church: the elaborately carved and decorated rood screen, now affixed to the south wall of the chancel, was brought from Jervaulx Abbey, and the finely carved ends of the reading desk are also the work of the monks of that house: the reredos of Caen stone, which adorned with a representation of "The last Supper," after Leonardo da Vinci, was given in the year 1887 by the daughters of the late H.T. Robinson, of Edgley and the Cliff, Leyburn: there is a brass eagle lectern and elegant brass coronæ, and several of the windows are stained, including one to the Rev. Fenwick William Stow, M.A. , vicar 1873-1905: there is also a tablet to the Rev. Clement Hales M.A. founder in 1877 of the Aysgarth Preparatory School, near Jervaulx (d.1900): the church was restored, and to a considerable extent rebuilt in 1866 a cost of about £6,000, and affords 620 sittings. The registers date from the year 1707. The living is a discharged vicarage, net yearly value £180, including 38 acres of glebe ad residence, in the gift of Trinity College Cambridge, and held since 1913 by the Rev. William Kitley Wyley M.A. of that college. The monks of Jervaulx Abbey became impropriators of the tithes of Aysgarth in 1423; they were never restored to the parish, but in Queen Mary's reign were made over to Trinity College, Cambridge, which thus became patron of the benefice. The Wesleyan Methodist chapel here was erected in 1901. A fair for sheep and cattle is held here on October 30th. A new foot bridge was erected in 1906 at Harper-Wath by the Rural District Council, in place of the old stepping stones. In the same year a water supply was provided at a cost of £600, the spring being presented by Mr. John Chapman, of Thornton Rust. The Literary Institute , containing reading and billiards rooms, with a large room above for public meetings, was opened in September, 1907; it was erected on the site of the old reading room at a cost of £600. ...William Robinson Burrill-Robinson esq. who is lord of the manor, ... The soil is very good; subsoil, limestone. The land is chiefly in pasture. The parish of Aysgarth is very extensive, containing the twelve townships of Aysgarth, High and Low Abbotside, Askrigg, Bainbridge, Bishopdale, Burton-cum-Walden, Carperby-cum-Thoresby, Newbiggin, Thoralby, Thornton Rust and Hawes; it covers an area of 79,561 acres, a great part of which consists of high moorland. ... ecclesiastical parish in 1911, 1,229. ... (p.29)
AYSGARTH RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL.
The townships in the District are the same as in the Union.
Council meets at the Board Room, Bainbridge fortnightly, on monday.
Chairman, John Wharton, Honeycot, Hawes
Clerk, Alexander Thwaites Storey, Market place, Askrigg.
Treasurer, Edward Paul Gibson, Hawes
Medical Officer of Health, Edward M. Hime M.B., Ch. B. Aysgarth
Sanitary Inspector, Ralph Blades, Aysgarth
Surveyor, James Whaley, Askrigg
Aysgarth poor law union comprises the following twelve townships, viz: - High Abbotside, Low Abbotside, Askrigg, Aysgarth, Bainbridge, Bishopdale, Burton-cum-Walden, Carperby-cum-Thoresby, Hawes, Newbiggin, Thoralby and Thornton Rust. The area of the union is 81,033 acres, rateable value, Michaelmas, 1912, £50,005; the population in 1911 was 4,262.
Board day monday, fortnightly, at the Board room, Bainbridge, at 1.45 p.m.
Chairman of the Board of Guardians, John Wharton, Honeycot, Hawes
Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee, Alexander Thwaite Storey, Market place, Askrigg
Treasurer, Edward Paul Gibson, Hawes
Collector to the Guardians, Relieving & Vaccination Officer for the Union, John Wm. Blakey, Bainbridge.
Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators, Askrigg district, Edward M. Hime M.B., Ch. B. Aysgarth;
Hawes district, Edward Wm. Anderton M.B. Ch. B. Hawes.
The Workhouse, at Bainbridge, is a building of stone, erected in 1810, & will hold 60 inmates; Rev. Frederick Morris Symonnds Squibb M.A. vicar of Askrigg, hon. chaplain; Frank Hiscock, master; Edward M. Hime M.B., Ch. B. medical officer; Mrs Elizabeth Hiscock matron.
AYSGARTH REIGISTRATION DISTRICT.
Superintendent Registrar, Alexander Thwaite Storey, Market place, Askrigg; deputy, James Skidmore, Askrigg.
Registrar of Marriages, John Wm. Blakely, Bainbridge.
Registrars of Births & Deaths, Askrigg sub-district, John Wm. Blakely, Bainbridge; deputy, John T. Leyland, Bainbridge ;
Hawes sub-district, Francis P. Bowe, Hawes.
Public Elementary School, erected for 127 children; average attendance, 32, Miss Mary Dawson, mistress.
Railway Station, Thomas Henry Walls, station master.
BISHOPDALE extends in a southerly direction from 3 to 6 miles from Aysgarth, and consists only of a few scattered farm-houses. Lead is found in small quantities in this township. William Robinson Burrill-Robinson esq. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Col. John William Lodge J.P. William Purchas esq. and the Misses Purchas, of West Burton, and Geoffrey B.T. Metcalfe esq. of Lechlade, Glos. The soil is rich loam; subsoil, limestone and gravel; the chief crop is hay. The population in 1911 was 60, and the area is 4,428 acres of land and 5 of water; rateable value, £2,131.
Letters arrive from Aysgarth at 8 a.m.
Wall Letter Box cleared at 4 p.m. weekly days only.
Public Elementary School (mixed & infants), built in 1880, for 50 children; average attendance, 11, Miss Parry, mistress. (p.30)
Newbiggin is situated in Bishopdale, 2 miles south from Aysgarth station and 10 south east from Hawes. William Robinson Burrill-Robinson esq. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Henry Robinson Chapman esq. the Misses Purchas and William Purchas esq. The area is 1,696 acres of land and 5 of water; rateable value £1,334; the population in 1911 was 86.
Letters through Aysgarth arrive at 8 a.m.
Wall Letter Box cleared at 4.50 p.m. week days only.
Council Non-Provided School, for 120 children; average attendance, 43; Miss Constance Mary Walker, mistress.
Carrier. - John William Heseltine, to Hawes, tues.; to Leyburn, fri. (p.30)
THORALBY is pleasantly situated in Bishopdale 2 miles south east from Aysgarth station and 10 miles south-east-by-east from Hawes. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels and a reading-room and library erected in 1887. Here also is a fine waterfall, called the "Silver Chain Force". William Robinson Burrill-Robinson esq. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are William Purchas esq., of West Burton, Col. John William Lodge J.P. of Bishopdale, Robert Sadler esq. of Birkdale, Southport and W.R. Burill-Robinson esq. The acreage is 2,857 acres of land and 6 of water; rateable value, £2,169; the population in 1911 was 178.
Post Office - Mrs. Anne Jane Webster, postmistress.
Letters arrive from Aysgarth at 7.25 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. ; sundays, 7.10 a.m.; dispatched 4.25 p.m. Aysgarth, 1¼ miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
The Children attend the school at Newbiggin (Cross las) (p. 30)
Lodge Col. John William M.A., J.P. The Rookery
Close John, farmer, Ribba hall
Dinsdale William, farmer, Dale foot
Fawcett John Bryan, farmer, Scarr top
Glendinning John, gamekeeper to
Col. J. W. Lodge J.P.
Heseltine John, farmer, New House Gill
Heseltine William, farmer Dale head
Lambert John, farmer, West New ho.
Raw William, farmer, Long Ridge
Sayer Francis, farmer, Myers garth
Waddell, farmer, Kidstones
Brown James, tailor
Dinsdale John & James, farmers
Dinsdale William, farmer
Fawcett Ann (Mrs.) & Son, farmers
Fawcett Bryan, farmer
Fawcett John, farmer
Heseltine Thos. & John, stone masons
Heseltine John Wm. carrier & frmr
Heseltine Mary Jane (Mrs.), farmer
Metcalfe Edward, farmer
Sayer John, farmer, Mill Scaur
Thwaite Felix, farmer, West Lane ho.
Thwaite Richard, Street Head P.H. & farmer
Webster Michael, Heifer inn, & farmer
Sadler Misses, High Green house
Beckwith Elizh. (Mrs.) George inn
Calvert Christopher, farmer, Gayle Ing
Coates James, farmer
Coates William, farmer
Cowperthwaite John William, farmer
Dinsdale Francis Spence, farmer
Dinsdale John, farmer
Dinsdale Thomas, farmer
Dinsdale William, boot maker
[My Great Grandfather, Holmeside]
Fawcett Elizabeth & Jane (Misses), apartments, Littleburn
Furnish Francis, farmer
Gould Geo. frmr, & aparts. Warnford
Haw James Lamb, boot & shoe maker & insurance agent
Hemsley Ralph, farmer
Heseltine James, farmer
Heseltine Jeffrey, How Syke
Heseltine Matthew, farmer, Swine cote
Heseltine Matthew, farmer
Lambert Francis, farmer
Reading Room (Michael Webster, treasurer)
Routh Richard, farmer
Sayer Thomas, corn miller (water)
Spence John, jun. farmer
Webster Ann Jane (Mrs,), shopkeeper, Post office
Webster Septimus, farmer, Heaning
Willis Matthew H. & Sons, registered shoeing smiths
Willis Alice Ann (Miss), shopkeer
Willis Jane (Mrs.) aparts Stanley ho.
Willis William, joiners"