NORTH AND EAST RIDINGS
EDITED BY E.R. Kelly
(Courtesy of the Local Studies Collection, Northallerton Library)
AYSGARTH is a parish, township, village and the head of a union, pleasantly situated on the south of the river Ure, or Yore, in Wensleydale, with a station 1 mile north-east on the Northallerton and Hawes Branch of the North Eastern railway, 8¼ miles west-south-west from Leyburn, 9 east from Hawes and 4 south-east from Askrigg; it is in the Richmond division of the Riding, wapentake and petty sessional division of Hang West, county court district of Leyburn, rural deanery of West Catterick, archdeaconry of Richmond and diocese of Ripon. Electric lighting is supplied by a private company, from power derived from the old water mill. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, and later styles, consisting of chancel with aisles, nave, aisles, south porch, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing a clock, presented by J.C. Winn esq. in 1904. and 6 bells cast in 1829: the upper stage and pinnacles were added to the tower at the restoration of the church: the elaborately carved and decorated rood screen, now affixed to the south wall of the chancel, was brought from Jervaulx Abbey, and the finely carved ends of the reading desk are also the work of the monks of that house: the reredos of Caen stone, which adorned with a representation of "The last Supper," after Leonardo da Vinci, was given in the year 1887 by the daughters of the late H.T. Robinson, of Edgley and the Cliff, Leyburn: there is a brass eagle lectern and elegant brass coronæ, and several of the windows are stained, including one to the Rev. Fenwick William Stow, M.A. , vicar 1873-1905: there is also a tablet to the Rev. Clement Hales M.A. founder in 1877 of the Aysgarth Preparatory School, near Jervaulx (d.1900): the church was restored, and to a considerable extent rebuilt in 1866 a cost of about £6,000, and affords 620 sittings. The registers date from the year 1707. The living is a discharged vicarage, net yearly value £350, including 38 acres of glebe ad residence, in the gift of Trinity College Cambridge, and held since 1913 by the Rev. William Kitley Wyley M.A. of that college. The monks of Jervaulx Abbey became impropriators of the tithes of Aysgarth in 1423; they were never restored to the parish, but in Queen Mary's reign were made over to Trinity College, Cambridge, which thus became patron of the benefice. The Wesleyan Methodist chapel here was erected in 1901. A fair for sheep and cattle is held here on October 30th. ... A new foot bridge was erected in 1906 at Harper-Wath by the Rural District Council, in place of the old stepping stones. In the same year a water supply was provided at a cost of £600, the spring being presented by Mr. John Chapman, of Thornton Rust. The Literary Institute , containing reading and billiards rooms, with a large room above for public meetings, was opened in September, 1907; it was erected on the site of the old reading room at a cost of £600. ...William Robinson Burrill-Robinson esq. who is lord of the manor, ... The soil is very good; subsoil, limestone. The land is chiefly in pasture. The parish of Aysgarth is very extensive, containing the twelve townships of Aysgarth, High and Low Abbotside, Askrigg, Bainbridge, Bishopdale, Burton-cum-Walden, Carperby-cum-Thoresby, Newbiggin, Thoralby, Thornton Rust and Hawes; it covers an area of 79,561 acres, a great part of which consists of high moorland. ... ecclesiastical parish in 1911, 1,229. ...
AYSGARTH RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL.
The townships in the District are the same as in the Union.
Council meets at the Board room, Bainbridge, fortnightly on monday.
Chairman, William Kirkbride, Cuebeck, Bainbridge.
Clerk, Alexander Thwaites Storey, Market place, Askrigg.
Treasurer, Leonard Ray Aveny, Hawes
Medical Officer of Health, Dean Dunbar M.B., B.S. Lond. Aysgarth.
Sanitary Inspector, James Lambert, Aysgarth.
Surveyor, James Whaley, Askrigg.
Aysgarth poor law union comprises the following twelve townships, viz: - High Abbotside, Low Abbotside, Askrigg, Aysgarth, Bainbridge, Bishopdale, Burton-cum-Walden, Carperby-cum-Thoresby, Hawes, Newbiggin, Thoralby and Thornton Rust. The area of the union is 81,033 acres, rateable value, 1912, £33,312; the population in 1911 was 4,262.
Board day monday, fortnightly, at the Board room, Bainbridge, at 1.45 p.m.
Chairman of the Board of Guardians, William Kirkbride, Cuebeck, Bainbridge.
Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee, Alexander Thwaite Storey, Market place, Askrigg.
Treasurer, Leonard Ray Aveny.
Collector to the Guardians, Relieving & Vaccination Officer for the Union, John Wm. Blakey, Bainbridge.
Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators, Askrigg district, Dean Dunbar M.B., B.S. Aysgarth;
Hawes district, William Morehead McFarlan M.D. Hawes.
The Poor Law Institution, at Bainbridge is a building of stone, erected in 1810, & will hold 60 inmates; Rev. Frederick Morris Squibb M.A. vicar of Askrigg, hon chaplain; Frank Hiscock. master; Dean Dunbar M.B., B.S. medical officer;
Mrs. Elizabeth Hiscock, matron (p.31).
The Aysgarth Isolation Hospital, Bainbridge, is a wooden & corrugated structure & will hold six patients; erected in 1912, at a cost of £100. & is run by the Rural District Council; medical officer, master, matron & chaplain, same as the poor law institution.
AYSGARTH REIGISTRATION DISTRICT.
Superintendent Registrar, Alexander Thwaite Storey, Market place, Askrigg; deputy, Harry Skidmore, Askrigg.
Registrar of Marriages, John Wm. Blakely, Bainbridge.
Registrars of Births & Deaths, Askrigg sub-district, John William Blakely, Bainbridge; deputy, Frank Hiscock, Bainbridge ; Hawes sub-district, Thomas Thornborough Fawcett, Hawes.
Public Elementary School, erected for 127 children; Miss Jane Lambert, mistress.
Railway Station, Thomas Henry Walls, station master.
BISHOPDALE extends in a southerly direction from 3 to 6 miles from Aysgarth, and consists only of a few scattered farm-houses. Lead is found in small quantities in this township. William Robinson Burrill-Robinson esq. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Mrs. Lyddon Lodge, and the Misses Purchas, of West Burton, and Geoffrey B.T. Metcalfe esq. of Lechlade, Glos. The soil is rich loam; subsoil, limestone and gravel; the chief crop is hay. The population in 1911 was 60, and the area is 4,728 acres of land and 5 of water; rateable value, £1,028.
Letters arrive from Aysgarth.
Wall Letter Box cleared weekly days only.
Public Elementary School (mixed & infants), built in 1880, for 50 children;
Miss Knowles, mistress. (p.32)
Newbiggin is situated in Bishopdale, 2 miles south from Aysgarth station and 10 south east from Hawes. William Robinson Burrill-Robinson esq. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Henry Robinson Chapman esq. and the Misses Purchas and William Purchas esq. The area is 1,696 acres of land and 5 of water; rateable value £315; the population in 1911 was 86.
Letters through Aysgarth.
Wall Letter Box.
Council Non-Provided School, for 120 children; Mrs. Hoare, mistress.
Carrier. - John William Heseltine, to Hawes, tues.; to Leyburn, fri. (p.32)
THORALBY is pleasantly situated in Bishopdale 2 miles south from Aysgarth station and 10 miles south-east-by-east from Hawes. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels and a reading-room and library erected in 1887. Here also is a fine waterfall, called the "Silver Chain Force". William Robinson Burrill-Robinson esq. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Mrs Lyddon Lodge of Bishopdale, Robert Sadler esq. of Birkdale, Southport and W.R. Burill-Robinson esq. The acreage is 2,857 acres of land and 6 of water; rateable value, £1,394; the population in 1911 was 173.
Post Office.- Michael Webster, postmaster.
Letters arrive from Aysgarth which is the nearest money order & telegraph office 1¼ miles distant.
The Children attend the school at Newbiggin (Cross las). (p32)
Gawland F. Stockton, Heaning hall
Marked ° farm 150 acres or over.
Atkinson John, farmer
Bawe Jos. farmer
Beckwith Elizabeth (Mrs.) apartments
°Close John, farmer
°Coates William, farmer
°Dinsdale Stephen, J. & Frank, frmrs
Dinsdale Francis, farmer
Dinsdale Thomas, jun., farmer
Dinsdale William, boot maker
[My Great Grandfather]
Fawcett Elizabeth & Jane (Misses), apartments
Furnish Francis, farmer
°Hemsley Ralph, farmer
°Heseltine Jeffrey, farmer, How Syke & Cote Bottom
Heseltine Thomas, farmer
°Huck James, farmer, Gale Ing
Humble John, George inn & farmer°Lambert John, farmer
Metcalfe William, farmer
Reading Room (Matthew Willis, sec.; John-Arthur Heseltine treasurer)
Smith Kate Helen (Miss), apartments
Webster Michael, shopkeeper, Post office
Willis Matthew H. & Sons, registered shoeing smiths
Willis Jane (Mrs.) apartments & farmer, Warnford
Willis William, joiner
Marked ° farm 150 acres or over.
Allen James, farmer, Long Ridge
Dinsdale William, farmer, Dale foot
Fawcett John Bryan, farmer, Scarr top
Heseltine James, farmer, West New ho.
Heseltine John, farmer, New House Gill
° Heseltine Wm. farmer, Ribba hall
Sayer Francis, Myers garth
° Waddell Matthew, farmer, Kidstones & Dale head
Marked ° farm 150 acres or over.
Brown James, tailor
° Dinsdale John & James, farmers, East End
Dinsdale Thomas, farmer
Dinsdale William, farmer
Fawcett Bryan, farmer
Fawcett John, farmer
Fawcett Robert, farmer
Hammond Thomas, farmer
Heseltine Thomas, stone mason
° Heseltine John, farmer
Heseltine John Wm. carrier & frmr
Heseltine Mary Jane (Mrs.), farmer
° Sayer John, farmer Town head
Terry James, greengrocer
Thwaite Mrs. Margaret Ann, Street Head P.H. & farmer
Webster Michael, Heifer inn & farmer