A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY
By THOMAS LANGDALE
(Courtesy of the Dales Countryside Museum, Hawes)
AYSGARTH, a parish-town in the wapentake of Hang-West; 4 miles from Askrigg, 9 from Hawes, 7 from Leyburn, 9 from Middleham, 52 from York. ... The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Andrew, in the deanery of Catterick, dioceses of Chester, value *19l. 6s. 8d. p.r. 1221. 11s. Patron, Trinity-college, Cambridge. (p.6)
BISHOPDALE, a township,in the parish of Aysgarth, wapentake of Hang-West; 5 miles from Askrigg, 8 from Hawes, 9 from Leyburn. - Population 95 (p.10).
NEWBIGGIN, (in Bishopdale) in the parish of Aysgarth, wapentake of Hang-West; 5 miles from Askrigg, 6 from Leyburn, 10 from Middleham. - Pop. 128 (p.79)
THORALBY, in the parish of Aysgarth, wapentake of Hang-West ; 4½ miles from Askrigg, 7½ from Leyburn, 9 from Middleham. - Pop.342 (p.117)