Monumental Inscriptions Section B
St. Andrew's Church, Aysgarth
South West Section commencing by church towards main gates (Bishopdale Booklet No. 27).
Courtesy of Jean Kington (June 1992).ourtesy of Jean Kingto
KEY - Bishopdale Resident, Newbiggin Resident, Thoralby Resident
29. In loving memory of Priscilla SAYER of Newbiggin died April 7 1967 aged 80 years
30. In loving memory of John SAYER of Newbiggin died 24 February 1931 aged 49 years
31. In loving memory of Margaret Ann DINSDALE of Brookside, Newbiggin passed away 8 March 1955 aged 77 years
32. In loving memory of John DINSDALE of East Farm, Newbiggin died 27 August 1931 aged 55 years also James brother of the above died 18 March 1945 aged 58 years also of Mary HODGSON sister ofthe above and dear mother of Grace called home 13 April 1966 aged 77 years
33. In loving memory of Isabella beloved wife of George GOULD, Warnford, Thoralby died October 31 1918 aged 62 years also of the above George GOULD died at Redcar February 14 1926 aged 81 years also of George Sydney GOULD Pte.C.E.E. their son killed in action at Vimy April 9 1917 aged 26 years He gave his life for his friend also John Mills GOULD Pte. N.F. their son who died April 9 1915 aged 26 years also their son William Beck GOULD who died at Driffield April 7 1897 aged 3 years.
36. In loving memory of my dear sister Cecelia FAIREY of Thoralby who passed away April 20 1920
38. In loving remembrance of James dearly beloved husband of Elizabeth TIPLADY, Howgill, Bishopdale died August 3 1940 aged 38 years
46. In loving memory of William METCALFE of Thoralby 1889 - 1977 and his dearly beloved wife Ethel 1885 – 1937
60. Here lies the body of Francis HARRISON of Newbiggin aged 63 buried 12 October 1738 Elizabeth his wife aged 90 buried 1 January 1772 and Francis their son aged 27 buried 19 June 1741 ‘Reader if thou seekest instruction from the dead, remember thou art mortal’
61. In memory of Dorothy wife of Marmaduke NEEDHAM of Thoralby who died 26 February 1759 in the 70th year of her age also lies interred the body of Thomas TERRY son of William and Dorothy TERRY of Thoralby he died the 4 February 1760 in the 3rd year of his age ‘Here’s truth amazing readers you may see, as though the worms should preach to you and me, We were like you and you like us must be’
62. To the memory of Francis son of George and Elizabeth RIDER of Newbiggin who died April 21 1787 aged 49 years
65. In loving memory of Mary Annie beloved wife of John BLADES of Littleburn, Thoralby who died June 5 1930 aged 38 years
69. In loving memory of Matthew Heseltine PERCIVAL of Thoralby died 7 August 1952 aged 29 years
70. In loving memory of Elizabeth HEMSLEY of Thoralby died June 24 1931 aged 60 years and Ralph husband of the above died December 25 1941 aged 72 years also Annie Coates their daughter died October 30 1947 aged 52 years
74. In loving memory of Dorothy NICHOLSON of Thoralby died June 10 1887 aged 63 years
83. In affectionate remembrance of Thomas NICHOLSON late of West Burton who died at Newbiggin February 11 1892 aged 72 years also of Ellen wife of the above who died at Newbiggin May 22 1904aged 77 years also of Ellenor daughter of Thomas and Ellen NICHOLSON who died March 20 1855aged 1 year and 4 months also of Elizabeth their daughter who died November 5 1858 aged 7 years
85. In loving memory of James BROWN died 25 November 1929 aged 70 [Newbiggin] also Margaret Elizabeth his wife died 2 June 1942 aged 80 years [Newbiggin] also Sarah Alice their daughter died 2 March 1946 aged 47 years
88. Sacred to the memory of Alice dearly loved daughter of John R. and Ella SAYER, Thoralby died Christmas Day 1934 aged 9½ years
123. In affectionate remembrance of Margery the beloved wife of William TENNANT of West Howgill, Bishopdale who died 7 August 1876 in the 52nd yr of her age
124. In memory of Christopher TENNANT of West Howgill, Bishopdale who died June 16 1849 aged 78 years. Also of Mary his wife who died May 26 1851 aged 83 years
125. Sacred to the memory of Richard METCALFE of Townhead, Thoralby died January 10 1935 aged 88 years also of Mary his wife died November 10 1945 aged 92 years also of Richard Thwaite son of the above died October 6 1892 aged 11 months
130. In loving memory of George RIDER of Thoralby who died 16 December 1855 aged 64 years and of his children Mary who died 30 January 1836 aged 4 and Jane who died 11 February 1836 aged 1 also of Mary daughter of the above who died 15 March 1860 aged 24 years also of Jane daughter of the above who died May 27 1863 aged 20 years also of Elizabeth RIDER wife of the above George RIDER who died August 22 1875 aged 80 years
136. In loving memory of Jane Ann SLINGER who died May 1950 aged 62 years also of Richard Matthew ATKINSON who died November 29 1953 aged 58 years also of John William ATKINSON died October 26 1955 aged 56 years all of High Green, Thoralby
137. Here lies the body of Peter DRUMMOND of Bishopdale who departed this life June 18 1774 in the 21st year of his age. ‘Go home dear friend and leave me here, For I must lie till Christ appear, And when he comes I hope to have, A joyful rising from the grave’.
138. Here lieth the body of Ann daughter of George and Alice MILNER of Thoralby who departed this life the 7th day January 1770 in the …st year of her age
144. Sacred to the memory of Thomas DINSDALE of Thoralby who died November 22 1839 aged 81 years also of George ROBINSON of Thoralby who died February 5 1844 aged 88 years
152. In loving memory of Robert METCALFE of Scarr Top, Bishopdale, formerly of Heaning died June 15 1893 in his 86th yr. Also of Rosamond beloved wife of the above died November 20 1897 in her 75th year.
154. In affectionate remembrance of Ellen beloved wife of Bernard TENNANT of Heaning, Thoralby who died June 10 1873 aged 47 years also of the above Bernard TENNANT who died at Cray November 10 1890 aged 66 years
155. In memory of Ellen daughter of Bernard and Ellen TENNANT of Heaning near Thoralby died February 13 1856 aged 3 weeks also of Bernard their son died May 18th 1862 aged 6 weeks also of Simon their son died August 14 1863 aged 9 weeks
183. In affectionate remembrance of Alice youngest daughter of Joseph and Mary LAMBERT of Thoralby died May 15 1859 aged 20 years also the above Joseph LAMBERT died June 11 1869 aged 78 years also Mary his wife died December 26 1868 aged 70 years
185. In loving memory of Robert METCALFE of Thoralby died 10 December 1957 aged 77 years. Also of Susan his wife died 25 January 1956 aged 81 years
186. In affectionate remembrance of Thomas NICHOLSON of Chapel House, Thoralby died March 21 1883 aged 64 years. Also of Mary widow of the above died July 16 1896 aged 78 years
187. Sacred to the memory of Dorothy NICHOLSON of Thoralby died February 18 1846 aged 78 also John son of John and Jane NICHOLSON died September 6 1830 aged l year and 7 months also of John son of Thomas and Dorothy NICHOLSON of Thoralby died December 31 1863 aged 73 years also Jane the wife of John NICHOLSON of Thoralby who died June 17 1871 aged 77 years.
188. Here lies the body of Thomas COATES of Warnford Court, London who died September 5 1819 aged 25. The death of this young man in the prime of life may serve as an awful warning to the living. He came to see his relatives at Thoralby and took a fever which in a few days terminated his earthly career and blighted his bright prospects, he was respected by his friends and his death lamented. In kind regards to his memory his uncles J & R WILLIS have caused this stone to be erected
189. In memory of Thomas COATES of Newbiggin died July 29 1814 aged 80 years also Alice his wife died April 16 1807 aged 74 years also Agnes their daughter died October 30 1829 aged 64 years
197. In memory of John LAMBERT of Newbiggin died January 19 1847 aged 89 years also Eleanor his wife died February 4 1844 aged 85 years also Robert their son died October 30 1868 aged 75 years also Jane his wife died June 23 1818 aged 23 years also Jane daughter of Robert and Jane died August 13 1876 aged 58 years
198. Here lies the body of Robert son of John and Elizabeth LAMBERT of Newbiggin died March 20 1765 aged 27 years
199. Here lies the body of Elizabeth wife of William SCARR daughter of John and Elizabeth LAMBERT of Newbiggin died August 7 1774 aged 33 years
202. In memory of Jeffrey HESELTINE of Thoralby died August 23 1860 aged 76 years also Jane his wife died June 1 1866 aged 77 years
203. In affectionate remembrance of Elizabeth wife of George HESELTINE born October 28 1819 died August 9 1878 [Newbiggin] also the above George HESELTINE died March 15 1899 aged 85 years [Newbiggin] also of Margaret their daughter died July 17 1850 aged 2 years and 2 months [Newbiggin]
208. In memory of Robert LODGE born April 6 1816 died September 12 1888. Also of Mary wife of Robert LODGE died November 16 1860 aged 38 years and was interred at Chorlton cum Hardy near Manchester in the same grave with Grace Helen the daughter of Robert and Mary LODGE who died 30 December 1855 aged 7 years and Winifred Beavan their daughter who died January 4 1860 aged 15 days. Also in memory of Caroline Ann LODGE their daughter who died 23 June 1866 aged 14 years. Sacred to the memory of Alice LODGE 4th daughter of Robert LODGE of Bishopdale died January 29 1914 and John William LODGE of Bishopdale son of Robert LODGE, Colonel commanding 2nd Garrison Battn A.P.W.D. Yorks Regt late Colonel 3rd Yorkshire Regt born August 8 1856 died August 23 1917. And Elizabeth LODGE wife of the late Capt Matthew LIDDON 8th Kings Regt and daughter of the late Robert LODGE of Bishopdale died July 20 1920. Isabella LODGE died 21 August 1947
209. In loving memory of Robert HESELTINE of Thoralby died September 6 1907 aged 69 years also of Mary Ann his wife died January 18 1894 aged 38 years also Humphrey their younger son diedNovember 3 1909 aged 20 years
210. In affectionate remembrance of Lawson DUNN of Thoralby died December 8 1867 also Eliza DUNN of Thoralby sister to the above died October 2 1869
217. Sacred in the memory of John son of Catherine and grandson of John and Jane FAWCETT of Littleburn, Thoralby who died April 23 1859 aged 6 years
218. In affectionate remembrance of John FAWCETT of Littleburn, Thoralby died September 12 1865 aged 76 years also Jane his wife died March 6 1873 aged 82 years and of Thomas their son also of Littleburn born April 13 1822 died December 10 1889
221. In memory of Eliza Algerina wife of William Henry MILNER of Thoralby died October 8 1865 aged 65 years also of the above William Henry MILNER died October 2 1878 in his 73rd year
222. In memory of Jonas FRYER of Newbiggin died December 11 1847 aged 86 years and Isabell his wife died 19 March 1840 aged 66 years William son of the above died 11 May 1848 aged 53 years and Ann FRYER sister of Jonas died 9 January 1853 aged 78 years
226. In loving memory of Matthew HESELTINE of Swinecote, Thoralby died July 27 1912 aged 68 years also Margaret his wife died December 21 1911 aged 62 years also Matthew HESELTINE killed in France September 16 1916 aged 21 years also William their son died at Vancouver June 30th 1917 aged 32 years
230. Sacred to the memory of Margaret Harrison LODGE of Bishopdale who departed this life April 27 1793 aged 27 weeks. Also of John LODGE of Bishopdale who departed this life March 28 1810 aged 85. Also Elizabeth his wife who departed this life April 13 1810 aged 84. Also John LODGE son of Robert and Alice LODGE of Bishopdale who departed this life January 25 1845 aged 61. Also Grace relict of the above John LODGE who died June 18 1851 aged 64
231. In memory of Henry LODGE 4th son of Robert and Alice LODGE, Newhouse, Bishopdale who died at Spencer Place, Kennington, Surrey November 29 1831 aged ?. Sacred to the memory of Robert LODGE of Newhouses, Bishopdale who died 29 January 1831 aged 81. Alice relict of the above Robert LODGE who died 2 June 1855 aged 82. In memory of Robert LODGE son of Robert and Alice LODGE of Bishopdale who departed this life April 1 1849 aged 61
232. In memory of Elizabeth LODGE daughter of Robert and Alice LODGE of Bishopdale who died August 28 1856 aged 75 years
233. In memory of Ralph LODGE of New Houses, Bishopdale who died November 24 1871 aged 84 years. Also of his sister Alice LODGE who died December 17 1867 aged 77 years
236. Erected in memory of James MUDD late of Howsike, Bishopdale who departed this life 19 April 1830 aged 63 years. Also of Elizabeth the wife of James MUDD who departed this life 8 January 1831 aged 54 years. Also of James son of James and Elizabeth MUDD who departed this life 3 October 1832 aged 24 years
243. Erected in memory of John FAWCETT of Cote near West Burton and of Thoralby who departed this life November 11 1836 aged 81 years also Margaret his wife who died April ? 1846 aged 89 yrs.
244. In memory of William HESELTINE, Riddings near Thoralby who died August 10 1867 aged 75 years also Margaret his wife died November 9 1855 aged 70 years also Ann their daughter died August 23 1837 aged 20 years also James their son died August 21 1830 aged 18 years
250. In loving memory of Matthew Heseltine WILLIS of Thoralby died November 11 1903 aged 74 years also of Jane his wife who died March 20 1907 aged 74 years
252. In memory of Ellen wife of John DINSDALE of Newbiggin who died July 8 1867 aged 65 years also the above John DINSDALE died July 10 1884 aged 80 years. Also James their son died February 21 1880 aged 43 years also of Grace HESELTINE of Newbiggin who died February 6 1895 aged 89 years
259. In memory of Robert DIXON of Newbiggin who died July 31 1811 aged 79 years also of Ann DIXON his wife who died January 10 1832 aged 82 years also of Robert son of John and Alice DIXON of Newbiggin who died an infant 6 January 1833 grandson of the above also John DIXON of Newbiggin Bishopdale died 27 October 1876 aged 87 years also Alice DIXON wife of the above who died July 28 1884 aged 86 years
261. Sarah BRISCOE died at Newbiggin May 11 1881 aged 23 years. William Bolland BRISCOE died October 14 1881 aged 49 years. Interred at Torquay John Dixon BRISCOE of Newbiggin killed bynatives in the Mashoa Rising on his farm ‘Teviotdale’ near Salisbury, Rhodesia on the 18 June 1896 aged 32 years Alice BRISCOE born 15 August 1856 died 1 April 1880 at Eastbourne, Sussex John Dixon son of William Bolland and Ann BRISCOE who died at Newbiggin on the 18th and was interred here on the 21st December 1882 aged 5 months William Bolland BRISCOE died 22 November 1905 Auckland, New Zealand aged 66 Ann wife of William Bolland BRISCOE of Starbotton and only daughter of John and Alice DIXON of Newbiggin in Bishopdale who died at Torquay the 9th and was interred here the 15 April 1873 aged 41 years Dorothy Bolland BRISCOE died 20 August 1837 Salisbury, Rhodesia
263. In memory of Eleanor wife of James THWAITE of Thoralby who died October 8 1861 aged 66 years also of Leonard their beloved son who died August 30 1861 aged 29 years also of James the above who died March 7 1871 aged 78 years
264. Sacred to the memory of Ann the wife of Ralph STOREY of Castle Bolton, daughter of Richard and Sarah PICKARD of Newbiggin who departed this life August 23 1843 aged 27 years also of the above Ralph STOREY who died September 12 1874 aged 59 years also of Ann 2nd wife of the above Ralph STOREY who died April 3 1893 aged 69 years
267. In loving memory of Francis Spence DINSDALE of Newbiggin who died April 19 1895 aged 57 years. Also of Mary his wife who died July 20 1904 aged 53. Also of Grace Heseltine their daughter who died September 22 1912 aged 21 years. Also Ellenor their daughter who died in infancy 1878. Also of John their son who died August 27 1931 aged 55 years.
268. In loving memory of John DINSDALE of Newbiggin who died June 7 1902 aged 62 years also of Mary his wife who died December 15 1909 aged 74 years also of Eleanor their daughter who died June 12 1924 aged 59 years also of Mary their daughter who died January 21 1915 aged 44 years
269. In memory of James PICKARD of Streethead [Newbiggin] who departed this life March 26 1830 aged 75 years also of Ann his wife who departed this life July 1 1838 aged 73 years
273. Erected to the memory of Sarah the wife of Richard PICKARD of Newbiggin who died May 15 1849 aged 55 years also of the above Richard PICKARD who died February 27 1869 aged 79 years also Osithe their daughter who died March 10 1824 aged 2 years Sithe their daughter who died April 12 1834 aged 7 months, Sarah their daughter who died April 28 1847 aged 23 years
280. Sacred to the memory of Stephen MATTINSON of Thoralby who died June 9 1807 aged 61 years. Also Margaret wife of the above who died May 25 1807 aged 65 years
283. In memory of Elizabeth METCALFE of Barker in Bishopdale [Thoralby] who departed this life July 20 1807 aged 75 years. Also of Christopher METCALFE her husband he departed this life November 21 1808 aged 76 Years
285. Sacred to the memory of Mary wife of John METCALFE of Newbiggin who departed this life June 27 1841 aged 67 years also of the said John METCALFE who died 25 November 1854 aged 76 years
287. In affectionate remembrance of the late Alice wife of Edmond DIXON of Crakehall who died September 24 1857 aged 55 years also of Edmond DIXON of Crakehall who died at Thoralby December 20 1870 aged 66 years
291. In memory of Elizabeth BLOMELEY of Bishopdale daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth BLOMELEY of Salford, Manchester who died April 17 1825 aged 29 years. Also Margaret BLOMELEY of Bishopdale sister of the above Thomas BLOMELEY who departed this life June 19 1837 aged 85.
292. To the memory of Barbara wife to Hodgshon HOPPER of Scar Top in Bishopdale who departed this life December 9 1797 aged 63 years. Also of Hodgshon HOPPER who departed this life July 26 1801 aged
293. To the memory of Barbara wife to Hodgshon HOPPER of Scar Top in Bishopdale who departed this life December 9 1797 aged 63 years. Also of Hodgshon HOPPER who departed this life July 26 1801 aged 84. Also of George their son who departed this life February 14 1825 aged 56 years. Also Jane HOPPER daughter of Hodgshon and Barbara HOPPER died April 25 1833 aged 82 years. Likewise Nanny wife to Joseph HOPPER who departed this life February 9 1802 aged 33. Also Barbara Nanny daughter of the above Joseph and Nanny Hopper who departed this life March 10 1825 aged 23 years. Also Joseph HOPPER son of the above Hodgshon and Barbara HOPPER who departed this life September 9 1846 aged 75 years. In affectionate remembrance of Mary Sybil daughter of Joseph and Sybil HOPPER of Scar Top, Bainbridge who died April 1 1868 aged 1 week. Also of Hodgson their son who died October 31 1870 aged 17 years
301. Sacred to the memory of James son of Tully and Elizabeth LAMB of Thoralby who died June 10 1838 in the 7th year of his age
303. In affectionate remembrance of John LAMBERT of Lane House, Bishopdale who died April 25 18… aged 11 years.
304. In affectionate remembrance of Thomas LAMBERT of Lane House, Bishopdale who died May 30 1878 aged 91 years.