Monumental Inscriptions Section C
St. Andrew's Church, Aysgarth
North West Section working south from porch towards main gates (Bishopdale Booklet No.28) Courtesy of Jean Kington.
KEY - Bishopdale, Newbiggin, Thoralby
6. In memory of John FRYER late of Newbiggin who departed this life April 30 1791 aged 71 years also Betty his wife who departed this life June 23 1807 aged 62 yearsalso John son of the above John and Betty FRYER who departed this life June 1 1819 aged 31 years also of Ann Wade the wife of John FRYER who died 26 August 1845 aged 40 years and of Mary Elizabeth the daughter of John and Ann FRYER of Newbiggin who died April 22 1857 aged 16 years also of David son of John and Mary FRYER who died January 15 1862 aged 10 Here also lie the remains of Elizabeth the widow of John FRYER the younger of Newbiggin who died … 18… aged ? years also Elizabeth the daughter of John and Ann FRYER of West Burton who died September 1840 aged 4 years In memory of the late John FRYER of Newbiggin in Bishopdale who died November 26 1865 aged 50 years also of Mary widow of the above named John FRYER who died April 9 1885 aged 60 years
26. In loving memory of John HEDLEY of Newbiggin, Bishopdale born March 28 1876 died January 291955 also of Hilda beloved wife of the above born August 4 1888 died August 8 1977
30. In loving memory of a dear husband and father Rowland FAWCETT of Hillcrest late of Bishopdale died 19 April 1987 aged 86 years
56.Sacred to the memory of Mary the wife of James WILLIS of Thoralby who departed this life 26 October 1814 in the 51st year of her life Also in memory of the above named James WILLIS died 18 December 1854 aged 75 years ‘What he was as a husband and father his widow and children who deplore his loss can best appreciate’ also in memory of Mary 2nd wife to the above named James WILLIS who died the 1st day April 1838 aged 52 years
57. Here lies the body of Christopher WILLIS of Thoralby who departed this life August 30 1792 in the 69th year of his age after a long illness which he bore with great fortitude also near this place lies interred four of his daughters who died in their infancy ‘Farewell loved wife and children dear, Mourn not my race is run, My cares are o’er I’m peaceful here, It was the Lord His will be done’
58. Here lies the body of Elizabeth WILLIS of Thoralby the widow of Christopher WILLIS She died 4 July 1817 aged 85 ‘Her conduct was what honesty approved In death lamented in life beloved Who never meant a neighbour to offend’ In kind regard to her memory this stone was placed here by her affectionate nephews J. & R. WILLIS
64. In memory of Mary wife of John METCALFE of Bishopdale who departed this life January 3 1793 aged 70 also the said John METCALFE died March 17 1795 aged 75
69. In memory of Robert B. GUMMERSON died April 16 1958 Youth Hostel Warden for twenty two years at Swinklebank, Jerusalem, Kettlewell, Bishopdale, Aysgarth, Stanforth, Aysgarth ‘The friend of man, the friend of truth, the friend of aged, and guide to youth’
99. Here lies interred in firm hope of a glorious resurrection the remains of Alice daughter of John and Jane CALVERT of Thoralby who departed this life October 26 1785 in the 15th year of her age also Jane her sister aged 9 months.
100. In memory of George CALVERT, miller, who died October 31 1840 aged 67 [Thoralby] ‘Reader prepare to meet thy God Through faith in the Redeemer’s blood but never hope to enter Heaven while unrevers’d and unforgiven’ also in memory of George CALVERT of Richmond nephew of the above who died April 11 1851 aged 38 ‘In the midst of life we are in death’ ‘Oh! you who now around me weep Come cheer me on my way T’is hard to part I feel it so - Yet still rejoice today’
101. In memory of Catharine wife of John CALVERT who died January 6 1847 aged 77 years [Thoralby] also the above John CALVERT who died July 29 1847 aged 76 years [Thoralby] ‘Make me to mind Eternal things’
111. In affectionate remembrance of William HESELTINE of Thoralby who died October 27 1890 aged 77 years also of Ann his wife who died June 7 1888 aged 43 years
114. In memory of Simon THWAITE of Street Head who died May 13 1899 aged 92 years [Newbiggin] and of Margaret his wife who died July 6 1899 aged 89 years [Newbiggin] also of Ann their daughter born December 19 1848 died in infancy [Newbiggin] and John Cragg THWAITE their son born February 17 1846 died February 13 1888 and Richard their son who died September 17 1918 aged 75 years [Newbiggin] also of Alice the dear wife of Eleazar CHAPMAN who died April 15 1927 aged 83 Interred in Dent cemetery also of Margaret Ann their daughter who died August 30 1930 aged 79 years also Jane wife of John Grace THWAITE who died July 31 1909 aged 66 years
115. In memory of Ann the beloved wife of James BUSHBY of Caldbergh and daughter of Richard andElizabeth THWAITE of Longridge Bishopdale who died May 28 1873 aged 36 years ‘Farewell my husband and children dear, My sufferings now are o’er But oh prepare to meet me there, When we shall part no more’
116. In memory of Christopher BUSHBY of West New House, Bishopdale who died June 1845 aged 50 years and also of Elizabeth his wife – remainder illegible
117. Erected in memory of Henry MASON late of Thornton Rust who departed this life October 10 1826 aged 60 and of Jane wife of the above who died at New House Bishopdale September 6 1862 aged 88 years
118. In memory of William SAYER late of West Newhouse in Bishopdale who departed this life 4 January 1792 in the 75th year of his age. William SAYER junior who departed this life 10 August 1796 in the 27th year of his age To the memory of John his son who died April 17 1825 at Chittagong in the East Indies aged 31 years
120. In memory of … daughter of Thomas & Jane CHAPMAN of Newbiggin? who died ? April … aged 72? Years
122. In affectionate remembrance of Elizabeth wife of Richard THWAITE of Thoralby who died April 30 1877 aged 71 years also of Rose Margaret daughter of the above who died June 1 1876 aged 24 years also the above Richard THWAITE who died January 2 1904 aged 92 years
124. In affectionate remembrance of Eleanor daughter of William and Mary DENT of Ribba Hall Bishopdale who departed this life April 13 1865 aged 5 years and 11 months.
125. In loving memory of Mary the beloved wife of William DENT of Ribba Hall Bishopdale who died 6 May 1884 aged 60 years also of the above William DENT who died at Newbiggin March 26 1901 aged 73 years
132. Sacred to the memory of the late John DENT of Newbiggin who died February 16 1863 aged 79 years also of Ellen his wife who died December 15 1863 aged 77 years also of Elizabeth their daughter who died August 8 1846 aged 25 years
134. In loving memory of Alice the beloved wife of Joseph SHIELDS of West Burton who died May 25 1909 aged 62 years also of the above Joseph SHIELDS of West Burton who died at New Gill Bishopdale December 2 1912 aged 68 years
145. In loving memory of John Brian FAWCETT The Rookery Bishopdale died 31 May 1936 aged 78 years also Catherine Shaw his wife died 7 May 1948 aged 81 years also John son of the above died 24 February 1911 aged 10 months
149. In loving memory of Ann the beloved wife of John REDMAYNE of Newbiggin who died 7 April 1887 in her 43rd year also of the above John REDMAYNE who died August 20 1914 aged 74 years
151. In affectionate remembrance of John THWAITE of Howsyke Bishopdale who died March 20 1879 in the 70th year of his age also of Hannah his wife who died June 3 1897 aged 79 years also of Margaret their daughter who died December 5 1856 aged 3 years and of Rosamond their daughter who died June 19 1902 aged 40 years
152. In loving memory of Eleanor CALVERT of Thoralby who died 26 January 1889 aged 79 years also of Alice LAMBERT sister of the above who died 28 March 1868 aged 68 years also of Catherine STOREY who died July 20 1898 aged 86 years
154. In memory of Richard THWAITE of Thoralby who died May 18 1860 aged 82 years also of Ann his wife who died June 30 1870 aged 83 years
155. In everlasting and grateful memory of a dear aunt and uncle Rosamond Thwaite WEBSTER 1884 – 1953 [Thoralby] and Michael WEBSTER brother of the above 1880 – 1963 [Thoralby]
156. In loving memory of Christopher Bushby the beloved son of Jeremiah and Ann METCALFE of Newbiggin who died February 14 1889 aged 21 years also of the above Ann METCALFE who died at West Burton January 9 1925 aged 83 years also of the above Jeremiah METCALFE who died at WestBurton December 3 1925 aged 83 years
159. In affectionate remembrance of Nancy wife of Robert LAMBERT of Newbiggin who died March 30 1874 aged 79 years also of the above Robert LAMBERT who died July 11 1879 aged 86 years
160. In memory of Robert son of Edward and Margaret BUSHBY of Newbiggin who died December 17 1865 aged 6 years ‘His soul obtained a sweet release, and fled above the skies, his mortal frame shall rest in peace, till Jesus bids it rise’
162. In loving memory of Thomas HESELTINE 1888 - 1960 also his wife Elizabeth Mary 1902 - 1990 both of Newbiggin
169. In loving memory of Ann the wife of Joseph YEOMAN of Blindsyke in Bishopdale who died June 26 1853 aged 64 years also John son of the above who died at Heaton Norris October 16 1867 aged 39 years and was interred in Stockport Cemetery also of the above Joseph YEOMAN who died January 6 1881 aged 84 years ‘Life’s conflicts o’er, each station past, In death I’m wrapt and rest at last, Farewell dear friends and cease to weep, in Christ I’m safe, in Him I sleep’
171. In loving memory of William DINSDALE of Thoralby late of Dale Foot died 28 January 1951 aged 85 also Elizabeth Bell beloved wife of the above died 20 January 1951 aged 81
178. In loving memory of Sarah the beloved wife of Francis SAYER of Myers Garth Bishopdale who died June 29 1915 aged 57 years also of the above Francis SAYER who died December 13 1933 aged 76 Years
186. In loving memory of Elizabeth wife of Rowland FAWCETT of Longridge Bishopdale who died March 9 1899 aged 66 years also of the above Rowland FAWCETT who died October 24 1906 aged 74 years also of Jane daughter of the above who died April 24 1923 aged 54 years also of Margaret their daughter who died December 25 1963 aged 93 years
189. In loving memory of Matthew DIXON of Kidstones Bishopdale who died November 23 1889 aged 56 years also of Mary his wife who died April 9 1893 in the 56th year of her age
197. In affectionate remembrance of William the beloved only son of Richard and Isabel ROUTH of Longridge Bishopdale who died August 15 1875 aged 22 years also of Elizabeth sister to the above who died May 16 1877 aged 16 years ‘Day after day we saw them fade and gently sink away, yet often in our hearts we prayed that they might longer stay, slowly their earthly frames decayed, their end was long in sight, their Christian souls was not afraid to take its final flight’ also the above Isabel ROUTH who died March 1 1891 aged 74 years also the above Richard ROUTH who died December 17 1904 aged 74 years
202. In affectionate remembrance of Matthew LAMBERT of Newbiggin who died August 4 1895 aged 56 years also Emma wife of the above who died May 5 1915 aged 78 years
205. In dear and loving memory of Thomas HAW of Thoralby who died October 17 1889 aged 77 years also of Elizabeth wife of the above who died January 15 1906 aged 73 years also of Sarah daughter of the above born August 15 1868 died August 15 1869 also of Elizabeth Hannah daughter of the above born October 22 1859 died July 10 1876
206. In loving memory of Mary the beloved wife of William COULSTON of Thoralby who died January 21 1911 aged 58 years also of Lily their daughter who died July 7 1879 aged 1 year also of the above William COULSTON who died August 30 1929 aged 78 years
207. In affectionate remembrance of Septima Ellen the beloved wife of William MUDD of Woodale who died September 28 1909 aged 69 also of Alexander MUDD his father who died at Thoralby December 16 1887 aged 70 years and of Elizabeth his mother who died November 17 1878 aged 61
208. In loving memory of Matthew BECKWITH of Thoralby who died March 14 1907 aged 51 years also Elizabeth BECKWITH wife of the above who died November 13 1952 aged 90 years
212. In loving memory of Thomas SAYER who died at Thoralby on June 20 1934 aged 72 years also of Annie his wife who died June 3 1937 aged 69 years also Alice Ann daughter of the above who died January 16 1898 aged 7 years
214. In loving memory of John SAYER of Thoralby who died April 17 1901 aged 86 years also of Mary his wife who died September 24 1897 aged 77.
216. Sacred to the memory of Daisy dearly beloved wife of John Redmayne SAYER of Thoralby who died May 28 1915 aged 29 years ‘Her ways were ways of pleasantness and all her paths were peace, do well O Lord unto those that are good and true of heart’.
217. In loving memory of Thomas DINSDALE of Lowgreen Farm Thoralby who died April 18 1917 aged 76 years also of Dorothy his wife who died November 28 1889 aged 45 years also of Elizabeth their eldest daughter who died August 8 1913 aged 43 years
222. In loving memory of Thomas HESELTINE of Newbiggin Bishopdale who died March 9 1909 aged 61 years also Mary Jane widow of the above Thomas HESELTINE died July 13 1930 aged 77 years also Margaret daughter of the above who died January 16 1890 aged 11 years also of Matthew HESELTINE youngest son of the above killed in France September 16 1916 aged 21 years also John William HESELTINE died November 3 1930 aged 55 years.
231. In loving memory of Michael WEBSTER of Thoralby who died January 9 1886 aged 31 years. Also of Ann Jane his wife died April 11 1937 aged 84 years
233. In loving memory of Jane HESELTINE daughter of the late Jeffrey HESELTINE of Thoralby born October 23 1824 and died at Morecambe December 4 1905
234. In affectionate remembrance of Francis HESELTINE of West Burton who died December 1 1887 aged 75 years also James HESELTINE of Newbiggin who died March 9 1897 aged 81 years also Jeffrey HESELTINE late of Thoralby who died March 3 1901 in his 75 year
240. In affectionate remembrance of Ann widow of John LAMBERT late of Lane House Bishopdale who died at Washfold Leyburn February 22 1908 aged 84 years also Thomas son of the above who died December 28 1912 aged 59 years also John LAMBERT Thoralby who died March 15 1939 aged 82 years also of Maud wife of the above who died April 14 1955 aged 81.
242. In loving memory of George DENT of Newbiggin who died 26 January 1885 aged 70 also of Annie wife of the above who died 21 February 1895 aged 71 ‘They sleep in Jesus, a light is from our household gone A voice we loved is still, A place is vacant in our home which we can never fill’