HISTORY, GAZETTEER, AND DIRECTORY, OF THE
EAST AND NORTH RIDINGS OF
William White, 1840
(Courtesy of the Dales Countryside Museum, Hawes)
HANG WEST WAPENTAKE
"Hang West Wapentake ... Is a romantic and picturesque district of wild and mountainous moors and fells, and deep and fertile dales, extending about 25 miles in length, from east to west averaging 13 miles in breadth, and bounded on the south by the West Riding, on the west by the latter and part of Westmorland, in the north by the river Swale, which separates it from Richmond, and on the West by Gilling Wapentake, and on the east by the Wapentake of Hang East. Wensleydale, one of the fairest vallies in England, extends through the centre of it from west to east, and is watered by the winding stream of the river Ure, which receives many tributary streams from the moors and narrow dales on the north and south ... Thoralby Township consists of 3,100 acres, rental value £4, 465, population 272. (p.601)
AYSGARTH, village and township, pleasantly situated in a romantic and picturesque part pf the river Ure, four miles E. by S. of Askrigg, and W. by S. of Leyburn ... The parish of Aysgarth is very extensive, comprising 5,796 inhabitants, and about 80, 000 acres of land, forming a highly diversified district of high moorlands and fertile dales, extending 17 miles in length, from the borders of Westmorland to the vicinity of Redmire and West Witton, bounded to the south by the hills of the West Riding, and on the north by the river Swale, which like the Ure, rises on its western limits, and receives here many tributary streams. This large parish is divided into 12 townships, and includes the two market towns of Askrigg and Hawes ... The Church (St. Andrew,) is a neat fabric, consisting of a nave, chancel, side aisles, and tower. It is a vicarage, valued in K.B.* at £19 6s. 8d. , and now valued at £137. It was augmented in 1734, with £200 of Q.A.B.** The patronage and appropriate tithes belong to Trinity College, Cambridge, the Rev. John Wynn, B.A., is the incumbent. The Society of Friends and the Wesleyans have a chapel here ... (p.602)"
* K.B. - King's Books
** Q.A.B. - Church of England Queen Anne's Bounty
BISHOPDALE township occupies the upper part of the romantic valley from which it has its name, and contains 108 souls and about 5,000 acres of land, extending from 3 to 6 miles south of Aysgarth, and 12 miles S.W. of Leyburn. It is mostly in high moors and fells, adjoining the mountainous part of the West Riding, and its houses are scattered at irregular distances from each other. In the dale are several cascades, falling from a height of 30 or 40 yards, into vast and rocky ravines, beautified by a rich variety of foliage. Wm. Purchas, Esq., is lord of the manor; but a great part of the soil belongs to Mr. Ralph Lodge, and other proprietors. Lead ore is found here, but the mines are small. (p.606)
BURTON-WITH-WALDEN township has 545 inhabitants, and 6,950 acres of land. West Burton, or Burton-in-Bishopdale, once a market town, is now a pleasant village, consisting of one very broad street of irregularly built housed, seated on a gently rising ground, six miles E.S.E. of Askrigg, at the foot of Bishopdale and Walden, sheltered on all sides by lofty moors and fells, and still having an annual cattle fair, held on the 3rd May. It has several wool-combers, and some of its inhabitants are employed in knitting worsted stockings, &c.
Walden is a hamlet of scattered houses, in the romantic dale or "den", extending up the rivulet to the distance of 5 miles S. of Burton, between lofty moors and fells. The streams of Bishopdale and Walden unite below Burton, and flow northward to the Ure, below Aysgarth. Wm. Purchas, Esq., of Burton Hall, an ancient mansion, owns a great part of the soil , and is lord of the manor of Burton-cum-Walden, which comprises also Aysgarth, Thoralby, Newbiggin, and Bishopdale. The Wesleyans have a chapel in Burton; and near the town is a beautiful waterfall on Walden beck, which abounds in salmon trout, and other fish. The School was erected in 1748, at the cost of £80, left by John Sadler, in 1742, who endowed it with a yearly rent-charge of £16, but it has not been paid since 1793, the devising being considered void. The poor of the township have an ancient ret-charge of 10s. per annum; the Poor's Close, purchased with £50 left by one Metcalfe, and now let for £6 15s.; the interest of £30, left by Elizabeth Whiting, in 1756, for apprenticing poor children, and a piece of land in Aysgarth, purchased with £40, left by John Lupton, in 1784, and now let for 30s. The last belongs solely to the Walden poor.
Marked 1 live in Walden and reside
in West Burton, both in Bishopdale.
Post Office, at Thomas Lawson's
Letters arrive from Bedale ½ p. 9 mg.,
and desp. 2 afternoon.
NEWBIGGIN is a small village in Bishopdale, six miles S.E. of Askrigg, and 8 miles W.S.W. of Middleham, and its township consists of 122 souls, and 1,360 acres of land, rising in bold moorland and hills, in some of which lead ore is found. Wm. Purchas. Esq., is lord of the manor; but most of the soil belongs to the Fryer, Hammond and other families. The School, at Cross-lanes, where four or five free-scholars of Newbiggin and Thoralby are educated, was founded in 1748, by Eliz. Whithay, who endowed it with 3 acres of land, ley for £6 a year, besides which, the master has the interest of £20, saved by the trustees. (p.608)
THORALBY, a straggling village on the west of Bishopdale, 5 miles E.S.E. of Askrigg, has in its township 272 souls and about 3,000 acres of land, rising in lofty moorland fells, and including Littleburn Hall, and other scattered farm houses. Wm Purchas, Esq. is lord of the manor. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1823. The poor of Thoralby and Newbiggin have 4½ acres of land, left by one Butterfield, and now let for £8 a year; the interest of £3 6s. 8d., left by James Hammond; an annuity of 20s., left by Charles Robinson; and a yearly rent-charge of 20s. bequeathed by one Harrison. The school at Cross-lanes in noticed above ... [Newbiggin ... The School, at Cross-lanes, where four or five free-scholars of Newbiggin and Thoralby are educated, was founded in 1748, by Eliz. Whithay, who endowed it with 3 acres of land, let for £6 a year, beside which the master has the interest of £20, saved by the trustees ... (p. 608)
Calvert G. miller & vict. George & Drag.*
Calvert Francis, stone mason
Dunn Mr. Lawson
Fawcett Jno. joiner
Heseltine Wm. cooper
Lamb Tully, tailor
Nicholson Jno. & Dorothy, shopkeepers
Raw Thos. butcher
Sadler Miss Jane
Thwaite James, vict. Volunteer
Willis Jno. b.h.
Wray Wm. R. gent. East Holme
* Later known as the George Inn, possibly to distinguish it from the George & Dragon at the nearby village of Aysgarth.
Purchas Wm. jun.
Boot & Shoemakers.
Tomlinson Adam (p.612)
Heseltine Mary, gentwm., Mires Garth
Lodge Ralph, chief constable, New hs.
Battison Mr. Fras.
Fryer Jonas, gent.
Heseltine Martha, vict. Board
Lambert Rt. smith, & Joseph, shoemkr.
Pickard Richard, saddler
Tattersall Thos. vict. Street Head Inn
* are yeomen
Dinsdale John, (& auctioneer)
Fryer Jno., gent.
Bryan Wm. beer hs.
Hemsley Wm. cooper & beer house
Lawson Thomas, grocer & draper
Purchas William, Esq., Burton Hall
Richardson Miss Eliz. and Mrs. R.
Richardson, Jame, vict. Black Bull
Robinson G.P., gent.
Swainson William, blacksmith
Tennant Robert, corn miller
Watson Thomas, tailor
Wellock John, vict. Fox & Hounds
Robinson Henry Thomas, Edgley
Boot & Shoemakers.
* are yeomen.
1 Bell Matthew
1 Hall Jeremiah
1 Lawley Miles
1 Metcalfe Edward
1 Pratt John
1 Richardson John
1 Robinson Francis
1 Sayer James
1 Scott Thomas
1 Slinger John
1 Spence John
1 Tennant John
1 Terry John
1 Waller Richard
1 Wilkinson Anthy.
1 Metcalfe John
Carrier to Richmond.
*Wood Alexander " (p.613)